Hello there everyone! We have a bunch of exciting news covered in this blog post for you!
This post covers:
- the release date for 0.9.0, aka "Speed release"
- the Hackathon 2017
We will start with a quick dive into the 0.9 release and then go straight to the Hackathon
v0.9.0 aka the "Speed release"
It's been a while now since we've officially released a new series of Inexor. However, if you have followed the project closely, you might have noticed a bunch of releases to the 0.8 series.
This is because we have tested our brand new rolling-release system. We will also include
Inexor Flex for the first time.
You've heard it right. Starting with v0.9 release, every closed pull request (that can be every week) will automatically be a new release.
Inexor Flex is a script-able manager for
Inexor Core, that provides the following features
- /remove/update the instances that you would like to start (client or server)
- manage content repositories and update them automatically
- manage Inexor Core releases and update them automatically
- use TOML configuration files instead of
.cfgs to configure your client
- edit the Inexor Tree in real time
All of the above (and many more things) can be done pretty easily either by
- using a feature-rich command line
- using the flex UI right from your browser!
The future of Inexor has arrived
With the mentioned technology stack, we expect to add new features rapidly to the game! Hence, it will be easier than ever before to configure and extend the game.
But I just want to play? Why do I need this all?
You don't necessarily. The v0.9 will also bring a Windows installer, getting you settled in 10 minutes! 🚀
Alright. Shut up, take my money. When will this awesomeness come?
We will make a live release to showcase the system at the Hackathon. So, expect the release to be ready on October 7, 4 pm. There will be a dedicated blog post that covers the new release more in-depth, of course.
Beloved Inexor community, the last Hackathon was far too long back in time, remember, it's been 2 years since then? Nevermind, here we go, below are all the facts you need to know.
Date and locality
The Hackathon will take place at FabLab, Tübingen. It will start on Friday 6 of October lasting until Sunday. If you are crazy enough to hang out with us the entire weekend, we will stay at a private accommodation organized by @Fohlen
Who is it for?
We are a bunch of open people, we will welcome you! Do you want to drop by for a few questions? Easy. You'd like to learn coding but no idea what to do first?
- people that are generally interested in open-source
- we license a lot of textures, sounds, models free and libre!
- questions about licensing are welcome
- people that are interested in one of the below technologies and would like to chat
- C/C++ especially C++11
- Travis, AppVeyor, Jenkins and generally CI
- Game engines in general
- Code reflection
- and many other technologies
- musicians, designers, authors, artists of any kinds
- we would love to create content for the Inexor story at the Hackathon!
possibly we will bring recording equipment
- teachers, students (school or university)
- Inexor developers, users, content creators (...)
- really, everyone
The below schedule is planned:
|17:00||Meet at Tuebingen central station|
|17:00 - 18:00||Drive to our place and set up there|
|18:00 - 18:15||Meet & Greet|
|18:30||Cooking at our place|
|10:00||Breakfast at our place|
|11:45-12:00||Opening ceremony at Fablab|
|12:00-12:15||Introduction talk to Inexor (What is Inexor)|
|12:15-13:00||Meet & Greet, Inexor install-party|
|13:00-14:00||Workshop about inexor-flex|
|14:00~15:00||Food (cooking or pizza)|
|15:00-16:00||"Live" release of Inexor Speed Edition|
|18:30||Grill & Chill|
|10:00||Breakfast at our place|
|11:00-12:00||Time for additional workshops/talks|
|14:00-14:30||Closing ceremony at Fablab|
|15:30-16:00||Closing ceremony at our place|
|16:00||Get home well!|
How to sign up, the package
There are generally two types of sign-ups
- reservation, if you want to stay with us at the accommodation
- sign up, when you inform us that you will join the Hackathon
The full package will include
- reservation and ticket for our accommodation
- pro rata price of a Tuebingen weekend-ticket
- an "inexorable" t-shirt
You must not acquire any of the above, however, if you wish to stay with us during the weekend, it is highly recommended to at least have a reservation for the our accommodation.
Please contact us via
info at inexor.org with the following details
- your name
- your t-shirt size (if you want one)
- whether or not you will arrive in time (5 pm) at the Tuebingen central station
We will get in touch with you about payment options (usually PayPal). The expected ticket price should be something between 25 and 35 Euro, but we try to keep it as slim as possible.
The sign up is not required, however, recommended (it's a good starting point for us, having a humble idea of how many people will join the Convention). To sign up, simply add your name to the following pad, alongside the dates you will visit the Hackathon.
This term has been defined pretty vague intentional because it essentially means
- you do something that is fun for you
- (hopefully) you produce something that you, your mates or someone can use!
This can be anything from a story plot to a soundtrack, to a blog comment or source code!
Simply join us if you want to have a fun day and go nuts! 🌰
Call for papers, aka "Alternative workshops"
On Sunday there will be as little as an hour to do alternative talks. This can be
- some technology or idea you want to talk about
- your own FLOSS project that you want to present to potential users/developers
- your country song that none listened before (chuckle)
Literally, the presentation forms allowed are
- lightning talks
- talks (maximum of 20 minutes)
- workshops (40 minutes are ok)
- podium discussion or impro 🐤
If you would like to do one of the above, please give us a quick hint to
info at inexor.org as well.
If you ever wanted to see how a giant continuous integration and deployment machine looks in action, join us on Saturday 😉
We hope to see many people around bringing fresh ideas to the project and open-source in general! If you like Inexor, please consider
- spreading this article to places with potential interest
- chaos computer clubs (or similar)
- IT companies
- creative communities
- translate the article to German or other languages
- spread the word on social media
- write blog posts or comments about this 🙂
And most importantly: drop by at the Hackathon! 💻