People should be able to create their own weapons, to
- incorporate them into user-made Gamemodes
- have "skins"
- modified looks for the weapons without any effect on the functionality of the weapon.
Sauerbraten's weapons are hardcoded in C++. People are free to use own "skins" for them: they are able to change between different sets of weapon models easily (if they downloaded such a weapon set)
Basically a weapon is just an entity which happens to have an effect on other players. You can trigger it.
A weapon could be only static data:
- what is the effect on the hit player?
- what is the effect on possibly other world elements?
and some static data for the visuals like:
- what particles to render when shooting? which sound to play?
- which model? which animations?
- Define where to save "weapons" (and how new ones should get added?)
- Define the weapon-rifle.toml entries
- how should the weapon get assembled together?
- Make the adjustments in the code to use the weapon's TOML file instead of hardcoded variables
- Make adjustments in the code to let the visuals of the weapon can be configure-able, too
For everything regarding the functionality, one need to make sure that everyone on the server is playing with the same
weapons-rifle-functionality.toml, but that is lower priority: If the Content System can be shared easily.. everyone gets the
weapons-rifle-functionality from the server on round start.